Translate

Thursday, November 1, 2018

Daffy Ducks

This week, let’s have a look at one of my favorite critters, ducks. Mallards are probably one of the most common birds in North America. There have always been a lot of them near me, whether I was living in Pennsylvania or Washington. Many species are migratory, but my mallards are year-round residents. Growing up, I could always count on a few in the back yard, as we had a small stream separating us from the town park.

A pair of ducks swimming in a stream

There are two kinds of ducks- diving ducks and dabbling ducks. Diving ducks, as the name implies, dive underwater for food. Dabbling ducks like the mallard flip their butts in the air and their heads in the water to find food, but remain afloat. Different species have different food needs, but as a group they feed on fish, insects, worms, mollusks, and plants.
A mallard (a dabbling duck) goes bottoms up for food

A Barrow's goldeneye (a diving duck) beginning a dive

Females lay eggs in a nest, then lead their hatchlings to water. One year, a mallard nested in a tree in my parents’ yard. It’s a common practice among wood ducks, but at the time such behavior was unknown to me or anyone else in town. City workers came and got the ducks out of the tree. They didn’t believe it until they saw it. Ducks with tree nests usually nest right above a body of water. After hatching, the babies will plop out of the nest into the water, following mom’s lead.
Wood duck hatchlings leaving the nest (Pintrest)
One thing I’ve been guilty of in the past is feeding the ducks. Since they were frequent visitors, and because no one likes the end piece of bread, I would tear it into little pieces and toss it to the ducks. Bread isn’t part of a duck’s natural diet and can lead to health issues down the road. It’s better to let wildlife be wild and not count on people for food, but if you must feed the ducks, give them grape halves.
Mother mallard and babies
Ducks are known for their stereotypical quacking, but that sound belongs to the female mallard alone. She seems to be especially noisy in a large group of ducks. Probably the best duck sound is the mutter. I notice this if I’m on a bridge or at the water’s edge and a duck swims by. They sound to me like they’re muttering something under their breath at me. My favorite duck behavior occurs during mating season. On many occasions, I’ve seen half a dozen or more males chasing a female around the back yard. There’s nothing like a bunch little footballs with heads waddling around as quickly as possible.

Maybe you see a lot of ducks in your area too. Are they so common as to become almost invisible? Slow down and take the time to watch them.

No comments:

Post a Comment