Translate

Friday, May 24, 2019

Spring Shorebird Migration

I spent a day along the Jersey Shore (Delaware Bay side, away from the beachgoers) in search of migratory shorebirds making their way north. In particular, I was after the rare and elusive red knot. I failed to find any, but they were at the first beach I visited just hours before I arrived. Instead, I saw sandpipers, terns, laughing gulls, some oystercatchers, and even a few ruddy turnstones. Some of these birds nest and breed in New Jersey, while others are taking advantage of the horseshoe crab spawning as an opportunity to fatten up after flying nonstop from South America on their way to other areas. I also strolled around inland and found some egrets, osprey, purple martins, swans, geese, ducks, and songbirds. There were non-birds running around too: a muskrat, snake, deer, and of course lots of bugs. The sightings kept coming after I left. I spotted a great blue heron flying overhead, and a turkey flew across the road ahead of me as I made my way back home.
Unidentified sandpipers jumping for joy
Those sandpipers have friends
Here, we see hundred of birds flying over Delaware Bay
This beach had maybe a thousand laughing gulls.
Not pictured: the noise 





No comments:

Post a Comment