Translate

Thursday, October 3, 2019

Be Bear Aware

With the arrival of fall and the approach of winter, food sources are becoming scarce for some animals. Bears spend the winter either hibernating or in torpor, a state of lowered metabolic and other bodily activities. To prepare, they begin gorging themselves this time of year so they can have enough calories to last through an extended period of not eating. While they generally try to avoid humans, now and when they emerge in spring (very hungry) are the most likely times you will encounter a bear. Here are some helpful tips on how to avoid or survive a bear encounter.
Don't let this happen to you! (US Forest Service)
Hungry bears are attracted to food and will follow their noses. When camping, store food, drinks, utensils, cookware, dishes, cosmetics, and hygiene products in a bearproof container, locked in a vehicle, or suspended 10-15 feet above ground and 4 feet on all sides from a climbable surface. Sleep in a tent or camper away from your cooking area. Don't sleep in clothes you cooked in. Don't set up camp near berry patches, carcasses, and bear signs. Avoid foods with a strong smell like bacon and fish, no matter how good they are. Sleep near your flashlight and bear spray. If you see a bear try scaring it away by making loud noises. If it is undeterred, move away to a safe area.
Ideal camp setup (WildAware Utah)
When hiking, if you see a bear that hasn't noticed you, move away quickly, quietly, and calmly. Never try to run from a bear. Running might trigger the chase instinct and the bear will always beat you in a race. If you see a bear and it notices you, let it know that you are human and  not food or another bear. Talk to it calmly, move your arms about, and keep an eye on it without making eye contact. Hopefully the bear will leave. If it does, walk away in a different direction. If it remains, back away slowly but keep making small talk. If the bear approaches you and is acting defensively- making loud noises moving its head around, or stomping or pawing at the ground, stand your ground. If the bear approaches, it's probably bluffing. Keep talking calmly to it, and start backing away when it stops coming at you. If it comes at you again, stop moving but keep talking until it stops again. If it attacks you, now is the time to play dead. Face down on the ground, keep your backpack on if you have one. If the bear rolls you over, keep rolling until you are face down again. Otherwise, don't move and don't make any sound until you're sure the bear is gone.
If you are faced with a quiet bear that won't leave, you'll probably have to fight the bear or at least make it think you want to. If backing away doesn't keep the bear from you and it is behaving calmly, act aggressively to let the bear know that you are not an easy meal. Yell at the bear, make yourself appear as large as possible, throw things at it, swing a large stick at it, and make eye contact. The idea is to make the bear think that since you are crazy enough to fight a bear, it probably shouldn't be messing with you. If the bear decides to attack anyway, fight back with a focus on its face. If you have bear spray, use in situations where the bear is aggressively approaching you. Make sure you are not spraying into the wind, and don't spray it on yourself as a repellent. Read the instructions.
The reason I chose bear safety this week is because I just had my first bear encounter while camping in Virginia. I was tent camping about 30 miles south of Washington, DC and while I got up to use the bathroom at 1 AM a bear took advantage of my absence and ransacked my campsite. It put some holes in my tent, knocked my cooler off the picnic table, and tipped over my folding chair. What did I do wrong? I had my alarm set for 5:30 AM so I could catch an early train into the city. To move more quickly, I had my next day's clothes and my toiletries in the tent with me. That was my first mistake. My second mistake was leaving the cooler in the open. I had 8 bottles of water and 3 glass bottles of root beer in there. I decided the ice would last longer in the woods than it would in the car when drove into civilization, where it's generally hotter. My third mistake, which wasn't really a mistake but just the circumstances, was not having safety in numbers. Bears don't like people; we have a bad reputation in the animal world. Being off-season in the middle of the week, the campground was pretty much empty. With no people around, maybe the bear felt like the campground was OK to stroll through, and the only tent around was an easy target.
Holes in the tent were on the right side, so I'm guessing
the bear moved right to left, swatting the chair over for
dramatic effect.
When I came back to the campsite, the bear was gone. The tent was a heap, so I spent the rest of the night in the car with the doors locked. Yes, I've seen a news article where a bear gets in a car and steals it.  After sunrise, I inspected the damage. There were holes in the tent, nothing too big but they'll only grow each time the tent is set up. None of the drinks were opened and the glass bottles didn't break. Despite their superhuman strength, bears still need you to open a bottle for them. The chair was fine, but I have no idea why the bear decided to flip it. With a damaged tent, I ended my trip a day early. This week's bear safety tips come from the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center right outside fabulous Yellowstone National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment