Translate

Thursday, May 14, 2020

Another Red Knot Failure

Last year, I spent a day along the Jersey Shore (Delaware Bay side, away from the beach-goers) in search of migratory shorebirds making their way north. In particular, I was after the rare and elusive red knot. I failed to find any, but they were at the first beach I visited just hours before I arrived.

This year, I planned a second trip to try again. Red knots stop at Delaware Bay to refuel on horseshoe crab eggs, and with the full moon this past weekend I was sure the crabs would be spawning. I planned a camping trip so I could spend more than just a day searching, and be there first thing in the morning without having to leave home at 2 AM.

The corona virus put a stop to my plans. With snow, rain, and wind there were two nice days out of the four I had planned on spending at the beach so it wasn't a total loss. I'll have to try again next year. Until then, enjoy some pictures from last year's expedition.

Firefly Watch starts next week and will go on as planned. Stay tuned for a report this fall!

























































No comments:

Post a Comment